INSIGHTS FROM KEY SUCCESS LOOPS: BECOMING A LEARNING ORGANIZATION!
Some thoughts on going forward -- meant to act as "jogging" more ideas
LONG-TERM SUSTAINABLE REINFORCING (GROWING) IMPACT:
Learning to wean off dependence of the people (citizens) on the 'parent figure' (government), something which we
instilled as young persons in (younger) persons, and needing to learn to let go 'of the child' in the citizens [LOOP
#1 (TOP RIGHT): WORK TO START NOW, SO THAT IT WOULD REAP FRUITS IN THE LONG- TERM, e.g. MOE, MLHA and MLG]
- Learning to "let go" and resist the temptation to be the heroic "firefighter" (Feminine need to protect her vulnerable child)
- Letting "the child" in the other person "to grow up" and not assume the other person will not make it without you! Work on one's
ego needs (will I only be happy if I see other person depend on me? That makes me a bigger and better person? Where did that
- Citizens learning to see that the government trusts them to solve their own problems and are not choosing to take the "easy way
- Citizens noticing the government engages and involves the citizens in solving the country's problems (and not merely acting as
someone who responds to issues and concerns the citizens raise! (Notice the citizens parenting the government!)
TIP: Learn to turn the questions back on the citizens rather than resorting to being the only 'clever guy around here!'
LONG-TERM SUSTAINABLE REINFORCING (GROWING) IMPACT:
Learning to become independent by appreciating and creating life with ones' hands - trusting oneself and others.
Not having to believe one needs to defend oneself in order to survive. [LOOP #2 (BOTTOM RIGHT): WORK TO START
NOW, SO THAT IT WOULD REAP FRUITS IN THE LONG-TERM, e.g. MOH and NACA ]
- Learning to create life and see life forms around you grow and thrive under your care. Believe that you can help life forms around
you to become a thriving plant, garden and landscape. That one can restore the water cycle.
- Learning to let the citizens becoming involved in doing (simpler) things - not because they are under control or supervision (paid
arrangements e.g. contracts, and appointments). This could start with letting them (the staff of the civil service being allowed to 'do
things their way')
- Citizens showing interest in creating, appreciating life and learning to make life happen together
- Citizens believing that "Botswana is my village" - I trust my countrymen (and not just my family and my villagers) to protect, support,
help and nurture (and not laugh at) me
- Citizens attempting to try out and are appreciated for achieving they had set their hearts on - appreciate for the effort not the
outcome - start with the snowballs!
- That people do things because they want to (not because they have to)!
TIP: It is not about the finishing line was, but learning to appreciate the journey one takes to get there
MEDIUM-TERM SUSTAINABLE REINFORCING (GROWING) IMPACT:
Learning to have quality in collaborations, joint planning and implementation. [LOOP #3 (BOTTOM LEFT): WORK TO
START NOW, SO THAT IT WOULD REAP FRUITS IN THE MEDIUM-TERM
- If the above two are working well (when we respect the order in which things happen), we should begin to see people and the
country wanting to pay attention to investing and building the capacity of human resources
- The country is paying attention to (even) the 40% of projects that are completed well, rather than only those which are not
TIP: Learning to see that the glass is half-full rather than half-empty
SHORT-TERM SUSTAINABLE REINFORCING (GROWING) IMPACT:
Learning to overcome the harshness of reality and create the next level of inclusiveness of the people and
willingness to devolve the country's work to the people in helping to co-creatie higher qualities of life. [LOOP #4
(TOP LEFT): WORK TO START NOW, SO THAT IT WOULD REAP FRUITS IN THE SHORT-TERM]
- If the above three are working, draught trends are replaced by creating waters (life cycle) and greens, HIV/AIDs trends are replaced
by creating and procreating life; people are coming out of their villages and are helping to build communities where more people
come to work and live together, from there is no land to making space for more land!
- People invest in the fundamentals and show willingness to wait out long-term to see sustained levels of results. Today's problems
come from yesterday's solutions!
TIP: DEVELOP SYSTEMIC LONG-TERMS PLANS (THE GANTT CHARTS); CONSCIENTIOUS OF INTERRELATIONS (CIRCULAR
CAUSALITIES) AND DELAYS (TIME IT TAKES FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN ... EVENTUALLY)
Updated in June 2007
Systems Thinking Case Study #25:
Systemic structures that have made a nation's growth resistant to change
|AN INSPIRATION TO BRING A NATION OF GOVERNMENT BODIES TOGETHER!
(From Botswana - A G-to-G project where Learning Organization was used)
If you are a government Ministry, which loop is the garden you need to tend to,
so as to keep your country's vision growing?
This is the work of 2007-8 study. The results of 2005 study, click here.
An up-to-date report on the work by Ministry is captured here.
Lessons from NDP10, click here.
For members of Botswana LO eGroup, click here. Upcoming works click here.
1. WOULD YOU MAP YOUR STORY OF THIS PROBLEM DIFFERENTLY?
SHARE THIS WITH YOUR TEAM AND COLLEAGUES AND AMEND, ADD OR DELETE AS 2. WHERE DO YOU SEE IS THE LEVERAGE?
NEEDED TO MAKE IT RELEVANT FOR YOU. JUST WATCH YOUR THOUGHT - YOU ARE NOT
DRIVING TOWARDS AN END THAT YOU DESIRE (MODEL I). YOU ARE MAPPING A REALITY
AS THEY ARE ACTUALLY HAPPENING (TIP: USE LANGUAGE THAT SAYS, "When this
happens, it leads to that happening next?" Do not say: "When this happens, I / we tend to do
this!" Respect reality). HAVE FUN!
I HAVE DELIBERATELY NOT INCLUDED THOSE HERE. CHECK UP THE ELEVEN LAWS OF 3. WHAT KEEPS OUR CONVERSATIONS AWAY FROM LOOKING MORE LIKE THESE AND
THE FIFTH DISCIPLINE AND DISCUSS WITH YOUR TEAM TO DETERMINE WHAT IS THAT
LEVERAGE FOR ALL OF YOU? WHAT DID KNOWING THE LEVERAGE MEAN FOR YOU?
WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE IF WE TURNED THIS STRUCTURE AROUND TO BECOME
POSITIVE VIRTUOUS LOOP (VISION) FOR YOUR TEAM? WHAT MIGHT GET IN THE WAY OF
MAKING THESE HAPPEN?
THEREFORE GETTING IN THE WAY OF SEEING THESE STRUCTURES MORE EASILY?
Click here to share your thoughts, comments and reactions.